Today I learned a new way of using writing in math as a method of interdisciplinary instruction and as a tool to better understand mathematics. In our discussion about creative writing in mathematics, my mind was opened to endless opportunities of mathematical writing. (This discussion was based off the fun and enlightening article we read, Using Creative Writing and Literature in Mathematics Classes). This interdisciplinary idea is using math as a tool in so many different ways: creativity, assessment in their understanding of mathematical concepts, expression, etc. This isn't a way to assess grammar and fluency, this is a way to understand the mathematical ideas and concepts that they are grasping and/or struggling with.
This would be so great to use in the classroom. It opens the door for students who struggle in math. They are able to use their writing, drawing, and/or story telling skills to express themselves in math in a better way. They no longer have to feel as if they are not "good at anything" in math. Their "strengths" in other subjects will let them do well in math too. It could help them feel more confident and secure with their work in math. Because after all, math is connected to everything else right? Well lets show the students how, and maybe ourselves! This is useful to both the teacher and the students! Beautiful!
I am still wondering if this lesson can be used often in our "scheduled curriculum" that I'm being more immersed in? I'm picturing teachers struggling with implementing this, because it is a little more time consuming than just asking a student questions via worksheet to find out what they know about concepts and ideas etc. But it is such a valuable resource, isn't it worth the time for both us and our students? If we (as teachers) only resort to the worksheet questions for evaluating how are students understand the material, then we will miss so much that they have to offer. They have much more to offer us in their understanding if we expect them to express it, and if creative writing is the way to get them there, then let's do it! Plus it's fun, refreshing, and supportive of their varying strengths! So how can we get more teachers to take the time to use this lovely interdisciplinary lesson?
Also, I'm still wondering if I'll EVER solve a Tangram puzzle on my own!!!??? It's been slowly eating at my ego my whole life!
This would be so great to use in the classroom. It opens the door for students who struggle in math. They are able to use their writing, drawing, and/or story telling skills to express themselves in math in a better way. They no longer have to feel as if they are not "good at anything" in math. Their "strengths" in other subjects will let them do well in math too. It could help them feel more confident and secure with their work in math. Because after all, math is connected to everything else right? Well lets show the students how, and maybe ourselves! This is useful to both the teacher and the students! Beautiful!
I am still wondering if this lesson can be used often in our "scheduled curriculum" that I'm being more immersed in? I'm picturing teachers struggling with implementing this, because it is a little more time consuming than just asking a student questions via worksheet to find out what they know about concepts and ideas etc. But it is such a valuable resource, isn't it worth the time for both us and our students? If we (as teachers) only resort to the worksheet questions for evaluating how are students understand the material, then we will miss so much that they have to offer. They have much more to offer us in their understanding if we expect them to express it, and if creative writing is the way to get them there, then let's do it! Plus it's fun, refreshing, and supportive of their varying strengths! So how can we get more teachers to take the time to use this lovely interdisciplinary lesson?
Also, I'm still wondering if I'll EVER solve a Tangram puzzle on my own!!!??? It's been slowly eating at my ego my whole life!
No comments:
Post a Comment