Monday, October 25, 2010

“I’m late! I’m late, for a very important date!”

Thoughts from: 10/04-10/18/10
We began this first week in math class by exploring the Fibonacci sequence. This caught our attention and struck us with wonder. Math is not only useful and necessary in our lives, but it can be beautiful and stunning! So I set out that week looking for math in a more open and curious way. Math in our homes, cities, society etc… Well how to narrow it down. The first thing that came to my mind was time management. Time is a huge factor for me.  I love being punctual and often get irritated when people are not (this is something I’m personally working on ;). The last few months and the months to come time is even more crucial to me than normal. We are so stretched with the time commitment class, homework, and our dyads take from us, that I find myself obsessed with the clock and NOT wasting any time.
 Balancing my time is the largest way I use math in my life. During class another student and I figured out that with the hours of class, expected hours of study, dyad hours and sleep we really aren’t left with much to deal with… We wanted to get specific! So we added up the hours we (cohort 15) have to spend: each hour of class, estimated two hours of study for each credit/hour, dyad hours, and eight hours of sleep each night, commute, and work hours (specific to me, sixteen hours and a two hour a day commute)…all this added up is around 155 hours. There are 168 hours in a week…WOW that’s shocking and said especially since I didn’t include hours that I spend showering or eating…So I guess that puts me well over 168 hours of mandatory commitments that take up all my weekly hours. Ahhhhh…It makes me tired just thinking about it! Thank goodness I don’t have any kiddos that require even more time from me!
So math in my personal life is crucial when it comes to time. Given the lack of extra hours I am truly counting every minute that is wasted or not spend doing something either productive for school or my soul!! (Which is crucial for me to stay sane at this point in my life! Or as Dr. C would say, keep my Lokahi Wheel balanced! It’s all about health! ;) I’m sure this is driving my family and friends crazy, but luckily (somehow) they love me enough to deal with the constant urgency of that I seem to have… Lucky me and a huge THANK YOU to them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment