This week I have been watching very closely; during the reading time my Dyad teacher provides for her literacy block, she used every minute of that time circulating the room having one on one conferences with each student about their writing: checking their homework and class work that is kept in their writing notebook. This time during class can last anywhere from twenty min to an hour at times, depending on the projects being addressed in their writer's notebook. The importance and productiveness of this time is crucial, and it is sensed throughout the entire room. I’ve been in awe of the work and communication she is able to accomplish with them during these times. As I pondered about this personal conference time she gives each student and settled down to get this week’s readings done, vuahlah! Regie Routman’s (Writing Essentials- and excellent read and I highly recommend it to all teachers, regardless of subject) Chapter 9 is about conferencing! Student/teacher conferences, peer/peer conferences, class/teacher etc, all leading to the ultimate goal of creating independence to conference with one’s self! Conferencing taking place in all forms, to show the importance of each student’s needs, goals, work, etc. In the class that Routman describes the importance of conferencing cannot be missed. I love the thought of having feedback come from so many different angles, shapes, and sizes! It has the potential to lift a person up immensely!
The same morning I started reading Routman’s Chapter 9 about conferencing, I was getting ready to go to conferences at my main placement with my teacher to experience and be a part of this process. So it was a week of reflecting (what’s new?). But it was a week of reflecting about reflecting!
Conferences were very informative to be a part of. I’ve heard of this style of conferences before and sat in on a few in upper level classes, but my main placement teacher prefers to have her conferences include, parent, teacher, and most importantly STUDENT! Don’t leave them out of the process! It’s about their work, their road, their future! Their say is crucial. During the few conferences I was a part of with the little kiddos, the input and information from the students was crucial for both parents and teacher to hear. During one conference the parents opted out of bringing their child. The difference in the goal setting and reflecting was huge. I was glad I got to see the drastic difference between the two; however, it’s disheartening that the student missed such a great opportunity to take responsibility for his education experience. These types of conferences are also giving students the tools to be able to have individual conferences, eventually with themselves. Giving students the tools, skills, and knowledge to be individual learners, full of conferencing and reflecting!
"I love the thought of having feedback come from so many different angles, shapes, and sizes! It has the potential to lift a person up immensely!"
ReplyDeleteVery true if it is positive feedback. Students are still figuring out how to handle all types of feedback and negative feedback can have some huge consequences if it is not handled properly. But I hear your point, the more the merrier! The more the student hears, the better they will get at filtering it as well as handling it.
I'm glad you were able to see some of the conferences with your master teacher. I know the LWSD has pushing for student led conferences this year. It was great to hear how they were preparing the kids to lead the conversation between the teacher and their own parents. I could tell the kids were incredibly nervous at the thought of making it happen, but they knew it was quite the opportunity.
Bravo Caliber!
Thank you for talking about how your teacher actually does the conferencing - that she takes the time she needs to connect to each student's work and all the while the other students are tending to their own work. She has created a culture where the students know the importance of being productive during other student conferences. That is the art that I want to learn. I agree that Regie Routman is a fabulous resource for the conferencing pieces. I especially appreciate reading here about seeing the work in action and the culture created to support its blossoming. Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDelete