Children love lots of things: candy, sprinklers, toys, Christmas, video games, broccoli, phonics....wait what? Broccoli and phonics? Well it was worth a try, and when I'm a mother I'll try to brainwash my children into liking them both, amongst many other things... However, realistically, children don't naturally like either of these two things or at least they deny it for some time. Why am I talking about this...?
Anne Lamott uses the ridiculous word of Broccoli to refer to her intuition. Now THIS is something children are famous for! Without the tainted advice and smothering from adults in their life, they are naturally pros at following and trusting their heart and intuition. Why would they doubt it? Why would they try to stop it? A foolish request from an open childlike point of view. Lamott calls us to open back up to the childlike view and trusting of our intuition. She calls us to open our eyes and be in awe like a child. Be in AWE! "I think this is how we are supposed to be in the world- PRESENT AND IN AWE."!!! Our world is here for us to be present and in awe; it was created to stun us, to woo us. So let it! I love the invitation Lamott gives us to let go of our smothering thoughts and enjoy it for what it is. Then to take that wonder and amazement and put it on paper in our writing. To keep our intuition alive and present so that it can be a part of our writing, naturally. If only I can do this like Lamott does...or if only I had the patience to do so. Someday...I'm looking forward to continuing to read this book. It's fun, exciting, enlightening... (Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.)
Learning about phonics while working with kindergarten buddies is the best way to experience it. I am so thankful for these two to be hand in hand. Fox is becoming a favored resource of mine! I'm very thankful for this tool to carry her with me! (Word Identification Strategies: Building Phonics into a Classroom Reading Program by Barbara J. Fox.)
Literacy in our placement! A block class of reading and writing! Oh it's glorious to be back in a classroom so rooted in literacy! We started our new placement this week and are absolutely loving it! It has rooted me. I feel calm again, confident. We have a place. A beneficial place. A place for growing, learning, and exploring ourselves as teachers! First impressions: this is not only going to be good, but great! Thank you for this opportunity!
No comments:
Post a Comment