Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Gap Find the Mira

In math I learned and found fun ways to do lessons and activities with the ultimate graphing resource Gapminder. As I've said before, this tool has endless possibilities with students of various ages! And it's pretty fun to just play with for kicks. I really enjoyed the gallery walk...specifically I thought it was unique that we got to leave questions and comments on the graphs and posters. Thinking about how others organized their data forced us all out of our comfort zones. When I came back to my own graph and poster, I loved seeing the comments that everyone left for us. I had to think of alternative ways to represent my data, findings, and conclusion. This can be hard as a teacher..presenting students with alternative explanations of material...

I'm still pondering the Mira that we got to experiment with during class. It was such a simple device...with manipulatives like that it makes me wonder if we really need the virtual manipulatives on my ITouch...Then I play with the fancy apps and ponder the seemingly endless opportunities it brings.
How can we use the Mira in other ways than just for Congruence?
In my school we have a very specific math curriculum, how can I fit these creative math activities into the curriculum? Am I allowed to venture into my own ideas?

I can picture classrooms using the Mira to work with patterns, especially when the patterns are geometric. Patterns are accessible for all ages...I can still remember working with patterns in the second grade. If I'd have a Mira to work with I would have been able to make and understand complex geometric patterns even at such a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment