Monday, January 31, 2011

Learning to be prepared...is it possible?

Today I learned, to be much more specific with my objectives. I had it drilled into my head again, that they HAVE TO BE MEASURABLE! Indeed...this is why I love math; I can learn how to measure things, even objectives!! Okay seriously, ensuring that the concepts and ideas that are taught, are done so in a measurable way. I'm thinking more concretely...which is good, because I like having my feet on the ground...preferably grass but I'll settle with concrete.
Anyway, I also learned the more math I can immerse myself in the better prepared I will be for my students. I have to have the experience that will enable me to be able to teach math better to students. It is my responsibility to be prepared to offer students different ways solving and understanding problems.
My favorite take away message, is to start with the end in mind! Plan our lessons backwards.

I'm still wondering, about the idea of modeling. Well, when we model we have to be sure to model how to handle failure, struggle, and humility. More on this to come after some heavy percolation...
Confidence is the most intrinsic motivation for math. How do I use this as  a tool and/or power to help them learn, enjoy, and do well in math?

To use these ideas in the classroom...in order to establish confidence and interest in math.... (and this is another favorite quote and thought from today)...use "Open ended work that can be assessed in different ways and taken in different directions...." I'm learning more about this every week. Heck! Every day!

Good timing on the "pep talk"  we have all been being burnt out and beat up with the massive lesson plans and observations....You give us a realistic balance to be "prepared" for teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment