Monday, November 15, 2010

Looking up...

Anne Lamott (author of Bird by Bird) has been calling us to be present and in awe of our surroundings. As I mentioned before I'm hooked on this way of thinking, living, and being. I was thankful for the reminder to be ready and open to be utterly amazed by our surroundings. The fact that it came from an assigned reading just made it all the better! That alone stunned me, for I feel that my face is so buried in either my readings or planner these days that I'm missing all the awe striking moments around me...

However, today, or rather tonight, as I was leaving class something simply amazing stopped me in my tracks. Many of you probably noticed this too and maybe don't see how I can find this amazing- but it is! Really!-... As I opened the door leaving the library, the twilight blue of the night pulled my eyes upward. At first I noticed the color of the sky, stunning in its glorious blue! Then I noticed the wind pushing through the trees, showing the world who's 'boss'. Finally, I realize the sky, the trees, and tops of all the buildings on campus are completely covered with birds! Ever since our first day on campus here I have noticed the large number and strange behavior of birds on campus. Every evening that I've left campus there have been hundreds of crows flying, soaring, and dancing in the most unpredictable manner. Tonight was a glorious occasion for the crows! There were far more than the usual several hundred, I couldn't possibly count them! And they were everywhere...My amazement with their beautiful black silhouettes against the eerie and unique twilight blue was a treat for my exhausted mind. I watched, in the moment, completely awe-struck, and tried to count them...Bird by Bird. I probably did this for far too long as I drove down the freeway craning my neck to get a final look of the image. I'll hang onto that striking image as I try to find my restful state.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Caliber,

    I like the way you think - the restful state of being and this being present in the moment. Since I've read this post, I've looked up every time I go to campus. My goodness that is one magnificent murder of crows. (That's the first time I've used murder in a sentence that way - fun!) I've never seen so many crows at one time. And they don't fly together in any organized fashion like so many other kinds of birds. Its remarkable that there aren't any airobrne wrecks. This time of year, with the deciduous trees all bare, there is so much more to see too. Taking time to be present in the moment opens up connections within and with others, makes me feel more alive, and deepens my sense of wonder and gratitude.

    Thank you Caliber, for the reminder to look up and take note!

    ReplyDelete