Three students who come to mind that benefit from differentiated instruction in my class are "Bruno", "Cornelius", and "Maximus" (Pseudonyms for all). These students vary in a multitude of ways, but I'll explore possible ways the IPod Touch can benefit them in the class and limitations it might also have with each of them.
Bruno is a very intelligent boy. He is the first to finish most assignments and enjoys challenges. He prides himself with his organization and preparedness. I am continually impressed with Bruno; however, I struggle to find the time to give him the challenging work he deserves and would benefit from. Using the Touch with him could potentially do great things. He would be comfortable using the technology if promptly shown how. He could use applications to strengthen and push his skills when I am unable to give him other work to do after finishing the normal class work. Having various math applications that are beyond what the rest of the class is doing, would be beneficial and fun for him after he finishes his normal class work. I worry that this might deepen the gap between him and his classmates thus making it harder to help him in whole class work. This student also speaks two languages fluently and is learning a third. If I could find an application that would help his speech, that would be another way to utilize the extra time he has after completing his assignments.
Cornelius is a whole other story. I struggle being able to give him the time he needs to comprehend my instruction and direction. I feel guilty when I move on, because I am unsure he had grasped my entire lesson. Using a Touch for support in his differentiated instruction would be helpful if I had an app that recorded my instruction as I said it. This way he could reference it when needed if he had missed something. His family could also use this recorded instruction to help him at home with his school work. If the recording was in script or in audio, they both would be helpful. I worry that using this in class would slow him down more. He already has a hard time finishing his work in the allotted time. Wouldn't this slow him down more? But if he is gathering the information better, then isn't it worth that time? At least the time at home, would be very helpful. I could even email the written recorded script of my lessons to his parents, for easy access while doing homework and maybe even daily reviews.
Maximus is challenge and a delight. His learning disabilities cause his mind to be all over the map throughout the day. Keeping his attention for more than one minute is a feat! Having the application that records my lessons into script would be helpful for him in similar ways as Cornelius. Having it to take home, or send home etc. I wish there would be an option to take that text and re-size it. Maximus has a hard time taking information from up on the doc cam and transferring it to his paper. It is most beneficial when he has the information right on his desk. If I could have a personal Touch for him at his desk, that I could re-size my recorded scribes for him, I believe would benefit him greatly. His attention span requires information to be directly in front of him; not up on the board. If I can't find a way to re-size the text, the Touch would be far too small of font to keep his attention.
So with Bruno, you're thinking of skill practice, and I wonder also about things on the web or some apps that let him go much deeper into content where he has interests. I'm thinking of things in which he can explore and it doesn't matter at all where the rest of the class is. Even Google Earth offers amazing views of the world... or apps about history or science (Great suggested on your cohort wiki from everyone).
ReplyDeleteGood question about Cornelius. If he's not getting things now, the question really is about how he can learn more, not how he can finish the assignments as they're now being given, I think.
For Maximum -- remember that so many of these apps interact with each other and with things on the computer. So use Dragon Dictation to transcribe your lesson, pop it into a google doc on the Touch, and on a "real" computer, export it into Word and you can make the font whatever you want it to be.
His job during the lesson could be do to the recording, do the transfer to text, and size it himself if he has access to a classroom computer.
So just try one or two of these things and see what happens:)
Jane